With Nathan's diagnosis, Ryan and I have had our fair share of learning new terminology. Medical terms like myelomeningocele, hydrocephalus, Arnold Chiari Malformation, syrinx, neurogenic bladder, and hydronephrosis. These terms have made their way into our daily lives now but just hearing them used to send us into a state of panic. Aside from this medical lingo I have sort of struggled with the right terms to describe Nathan and his sb. I am very careful to put Nathan first, and not his diagnosis. For example, I would say my child with sb, not my sb child because it is the child who defines himself, not the diagnosis. Probably the most commonly used term to define Nate (and countless others) is disabled. I hadn't really thought about the word much-until I read the definition.
disabled
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: incapacitated
Synonyms: broken-down, confined, decrepit, disarmed, handicapped, helpless, lame, hurt, incapable, infirm, laid-up, maimed, out-of-action, out-of-commission, paralyzed, powerless, run-down, sidelined, stalled, weakened, worn-out, wounded, wrecked
Antonyms: able, healthy
All you have to do is take one look at Nate and you will know that he is NONE of these things. Just take one look at this face and tell me that he is
helpless
incapable
powerless
wrecked.
Determined, yes. Joyful, inspirational, resilient, absolutely. Brave-without a doubt. The part that really gets me are the antonyms-able and healthy. He is quite ALBE to do many things. Some may be in a different way than most people, but he is ABLE nonetheless. And healthy? Pullleeeze. The kid has never even had an ear infection! He is the healthiest kid I know.
Words can be powerful weapons. Words can break a person down or build a person up. It is my goal, and challenge I suppose, to use terminology and words that will only build my son up. And "disabled" will never be one of them. So, I am challenging all of you to be "builder-upers". To choose your words carefully, no matter what somebody's walk in life.
I praise you because I am fearfully and
wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the
depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139: 14-16
I would agree with able and healthy. And as handsome as his Grandpa. Probably cuter.
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post - it makes you put things in perspective. I need to be careful with my words especially as a teacher
ReplyDelete