We actually received some good news from Nate's neurologist at his appointment last week. After looking over the results of the sleep study, his Dr. concluded that his apnea is not central after all (brain related) but obstructive. He referred us to have an ear-nose-throat consult and said that Nate would most likely have to have his tonsils taken out. Ryan and I were actually very happy with this news. Not that we want our baby to have another surgery, but if removing his tonsils is what it takes to get him off oxygen for good then it's not a bad deal. Plus, that means that this whole apnea thing is NOT brain related (whew!) AND we probably won't have to see that doctor anymore. Great news all around!
On a side note, from this experience I have learned to ALWAYS trust my mommy instincts. From the minute Nate was released from the NICU and we brought him home with oxygen tanks, cords, canulas, and apnea and pulse monitors I was going on and on to Ryan about how we should take him to see ENT. I was sure it had something to do with that and could be fixed and was not going to accept the fact that he would be on it indefinitely. Problem was, with all the other specialists we were already seeing we never made it a priority to check this theory. Bad momma! Lesson learned!
No comments:
Post a Comment