Pages

September 02, 2010

Real

I recently applauded a friend for being real on her blog and writing about not just the good and the bad, but the ugly, too. It's always been difficult for me to be 'real' in my writing because I just don't think I can write like that. Or maybe I am afraid to put it all out there. And as real and open as I am about Nathan's special needs I realized recently that I have never posted 'real' pictures of him. Most are pictures of him smiling or doing something cute. I think as real as I have gotten is posting pictures of him using some of his equipment and even then his adorable face is usually the main attraction. But there is a very raw and very real side of him that we see on a daily basis that I've never really shared before in pictures. Thanks to some very good friends who have gotten real lately, I've decided to share, along with the good and the bad, the real. And real does not have to be ugly. On the contrary, real can be beautiful.
























His scars are a reminder of just how much he has endured and how far he has come. And to quote my friend Joanna, who writes beautiful words about our miracle babies on her blog,

scars are the most precious things to me -
they are a glorious statement that says -
I am alive.
I am a miracle.
God made me.
And I am wonderfully made.


And a Psalm that I have leaned on since Nathan was still growing in my tummy,

"I praise you that I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."
Psalms 139:14

Oh yes, real can be beautiful. And the beauty of our little boy, the joy he holds and the way he makes my heart want to burst with love is so very, very real.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing pictures! You are right that every scar looks so different. Thank you so much for sharing your "real" pictures.
    Your Nathan is beautiful in every way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is beyond beautiful in those pictures. Take-my-breath-away-tears-in-my-eyes gorgeous. What a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I've got teary eyes now. Those pictures are glorious. He's so beautiful. Wonderful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous and what you wrote made me cry. Real can be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie-Wow. Both the text and the photos are simple, beautiful, and perfect. Very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I mention that the photos are outstanding? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Steph...it is so amazing what your little guy has been through in his lifetime...what a tough kid (and tough mommy, too!). Your photos were beautiful, as always. They brought tears to my eyes, thinking about all you've endured as a family. Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was very poignant and moving. It is so obvious that your love for your son is VERY real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for being real today.... I am having such a hard time with things and feeling so alone, but then a bunch of the SB moms have real posts today and it helps my heart with my fmailies reality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful.
    I love that you have them in black and white.
    Through all the ups and downs, real is what stays there day to day.

    ReplyDelete