Pages

August 05, 2010

We've finally decided...

...and ended up with a happy medium. And I finally feel good about it.

Dan the wheel chair man (it has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?) came by earlier this week with two models for Nate to try out. One was teeny tiny and the other was quite big for him.



He got around great in the teeny chair and even protested a little when we took him out of it. It fit him near perfectly...but it just wasn't right. Although the chair would "grow with him" I couldn't see him in that teeny chair, so low to the ground, in a couple years. And this was no easy decision. We hemmed and hawed, and sought out opinions of therapists and other families we knew had already been in our situation. The bottom line is every child is different so you just have t to go with your gut.






The bigger chair was, quite obviously, too big but ultimately it had more of what we were looking for (double push handles, lighter weight). And you had the option of getting light up caster wheels (okay, I'm a grown-up and I thought they were so cool!). Nate may not get to wear those light-up shoes like all the other kids do, but in my opinion he's got something better! Now, keep in mind this is not the actual chair he is getting. The wheels on this particular chair were 24" and we ordered 16" wheels which will bring the height of the chair way down. But not as low as the teeny one. We decided on getting him the wheels with the spokes and the hand rail (like the ones in the pic below) versus the ones on the other chair for two reasons. 1.) I am a bit of a germ-o-phobe and the thought of Nate having to actually push dirty wheels around all the time was enough to freak me out, and 2.) these are the kinds of wheels he will be having for a long time (if a wheel chair is what works best for him down the road) so we thought it best to just start with these. He was able to maneuver both chairs easily, with Dan the wheel chair man even commenting how well he took to it.



So, there you go. Picture it a bit smaller, lower to the ground, in a Cubbie blue color with his name stitched on the back. We are genuinely excited to see him be able to move around independently, at the level of his peers. I've heard that giving kids this new-found sense of freedom can be life changing for them. We're eager to see how Nate feels about it. We're also super eager for it to come in, which we were told could take up to 8 weeks (if not more). As hard as it was to make a decision, I think playing the waiting game will be even harder!

9 comments:

  1. Looks like you chose the perfect chair for Nate! I'm not looking forward to having to make all of these decisions about Grey's...who knew it could be so hard!! At least I know who to come to with all of my questions! :) At least you have 8 weeks to pad the walls and hide the breakables...I think Nate is going to be a wild man with his new found independence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so grown up! Seeing Nate and Grey manipulate these rolling standers and wheel chairs is just mind blowing to me - they were just babies 2 seconds ago!!! Where did these strong and independent little boys come from?! I am just a swirl of emotions about all of this. But the biggest emotion is love - I am just so proud and in love with these boys and their families. Thank you for all you do to encourage us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cool! I am excited too to see what this will mean for Nathan! It just amazes me how fast little little kids figure out how to get where they want to go. Sounds like it was a hard choice. Looks like you made a good call! Can't wait to see video of this new avenue of independence for him. ...and light up wheels!!! wow! so cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with Joanna and Leigh! I'm terrified of dealing with it, but to be honest, it kind of sounds like something fun to shop for from your description. I love options and upgrades! Can't wait to hear all about his new wheels when they come in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you guys! I hope he enjoys all that new found freedom once his new wheels come in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nate, I am so happy for you! How cool will it be to see him wheeling all over the place and being so much more independent?!?! Sounds like big decisions for mom and dad, but as always...what's best for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with everyone, I'm a big mush of emotions just thinking about this. and after reading your post, who knew there would be this many decisions? ugh but LOVE the idea of light up wheels?? VERY cool. Like every one else said, he looks like such a big boy!!!! Hope these next weeks fly and can't wait to see video of him flying around with it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for what this will mean for Nate, and his independence and freedom - how exciting for him, and you guys (though scary too, watching him grow up!!) I'm with you on the spoke and hand rail to help avoid the germs...

    I hope things went well with his eye surgery and he's recovering quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO great! I am so glad that he will be able to have some independence. He truly is a blessing to our very extended family =)

    ReplyDelete