At Nate's first appointment, he will be having a renal (kidney) ultrasound, a urodynamics test (bladder voiding), a muscle test and will meet with a neuro surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, urologist and physical therapist. I am most anxious about uro (worried about his kidney reflux-praying that is better) and ortho. I firmly believe it is time for Nate to start working on being independently mobile. Our PTs think that Nate is ready and shows appropriate signs for trying some high bracing and a walker. He still struggles bearing weight in his legs but has shown some new strength. Most of all, I have a strong mother's intuition that he is getting more and more frustrated with his inability to just go. And although preschool is a year away (just a year!) I want to be sure he is ready for that-whether it's in braces and a walker or in a wheel chair. That is something else I am going to inquire about at clinic, and I hope we will be ordering one soon. I have heard great things from other moms about how much more their kids are able to do in their chairs-and that they even started talking more and becoming more social and less shy. It's a big step for us, and Nate, but ultimately one that I know is good for us to take. Our clinic appointment is May 18th.
Here is a photo of Nate on his police motorcycle that his wonderful PT, Toni brought for him. He sits up so big in it! Not into the whole rocking thing yet, but we are working on it. Just sitting in it and watching one of his letter or word videos helps him practice strengthening his core. He is getting so strong!
Another smart move on your part. How cool is that motorcycle?
ReplyDeleteSo cute! We had that motorcycle for little Dave, too...like father like son :)
ReplyDeleteI stopped in the other day, and Nathan was on his motorcycle. He was pulling it with both arms back and forth showing strength. If he keeps practicing, he will be ready for summer in the yard, along with all the other kids.
ReplyDeleteGood job Nathan!